How to Watch Hulu on Roku in UK [September 2021 Updated]
Roku is a famous streaming device. If you are also a user of such a device, searching for a solution about “How to Watch Hulu in UK on Roku” then you are at the right place.
Have you ever encountered the “Hulu not found in your area” error? Hulu features a new series of TV shows and movies from US networks such as ABC, CBS, NBC.
The only problem is that you will find local errors like the one mentioned above or “Sorry, currently our video library can only be viewed within the United States.” if you are trying to watch Hulu outside the US region on Roku.
However, you can still watch Hulu in the UK. You need to configure a VPN on your compatible Wi-Fi router or Smart DNS to bypass regional limits on Hulu content in the UK on your Roku device.
3 Best VPNs to Watch Hulu on Roku [Overview]
In simple steps, you can watch Hulu on Roku in the UK or from anywhere with the use of a VPN. Here is a summary of the best-performing VPNs on Roku!
How to Connect Roku to a VPN?
Sadly, Roku software does not support VPNs on any of its devices. Therefore, Roku owners who want to take advantage of a VPN must install it on a mediator device, usually a Wi-fi router. Here are a few different ways for it.
Method 1 – Setting Up a VPN on your Wi-Fi Router
You can easily set up a VPN on your Wi-fi router. First, connect your Roku to the Wi-fi network of that router to open streaming content, and keep your streaming activity private.
If your Wi-Fi router supports a VPN connection you are good to take a start. At first, log into your router dashboard by typing “192.168.0.1” or “192.168.1.1” in your web browser. Next, enter your login details.
You can find out by checking your router’s default model credentials, reading the router’s handprint manual, or contacting your local ISP. Once you have access to the dashboard, look for a way to set up a “VPN” connection.
In case if you do not have such an option, you will need to upgrade the existing firmware through an open-source alternative, such as DD-WRT. For this, you can check the listed steps below.
Steps to Upgrade Router Firmware to DD-WRT
If you need to upgrade the router firmware to DD-WRT then follow the below instructions:
- Open this URL: https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/
- Find your router model
- Download the firmware files
- Click on “Administration” section from your router dashboard
- Select “Firmware Update” from the list of options available
- Hit on “Select File” and upload the firmware files downloaded earlier
After the installation completes, your router dashboard should look like this:
Setting Up OpenVPN on Your DD-WRT Firmware
- Download the OpenVPN Configuration Files from reliable VPN service like “ExpressVPN“
- Click the router dashboard for DD-WRT via 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
- Hit on the “Services” tab and select the “VPN” sub-tab
- Enable “Start OpenVPN Client” from the list of protocols
Enter the OpenVPN Client Settings
Once the users of Roku are entered the Open VPN Client Settings section then simply follow the instructions below in 2021.
- Server IP / Name: of the .ovpn file/server from ExpressVPN.
- Port Address: get this address form your VPN provider too.
- Tunnel Device: Select the “TUN” option.
- Tunnel Protocol: UDP or TCP.
- Encryption Cipher: AES-256-CBC
- Hash Algorithm: SHA256.
- Advanced Options: Enabled.
- TLS Cipher: not checked.
- LZO Compression: Adaptive.
- NAT: Disable.
- Firewall Protection: Enable.
- IP Address: leave blank.
- Subnet Mask: leave blank.
- Tunnel MTU setting: 1500.
- UDP Fragment:1450.
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Enable.
- nsCertType verification: Checked ✔
Connecting Your Roku to VPN Router
- Turn on your Roku and Open XMB Menu.
- Click on Settings > Go> Networking Settings.
- Select Set Up Internet Connection.
- Choose the “Use WiFi” option.
- Select the connection method as “Easy”.
- Wait for scanning available networks.
- Select your laptop’s mobile hotspot.
- Continue to Test Connection.
- Launch Hulu app and enjoy watching in the UK!
Method 2 – Using the SmartDNS Method to Stream Hulu on Roku in UK
There are some SmartDNS services that are able to provide a strong enough DNS address for changing the Hulu region on your Roku streaming box. Once you find one, follow the steps below:
- Subscribe to a SmartDNS service
- Obtain US DNS server addresses (primary and secondary) from your provider.
- Open your Roku menu and navigate to the Network Settings.
- Choose Custom and Manual and enter the DNS server addresses you obtained
- Make a new Network account with your location in the US.
- Launch Hulu and watch US exclusive content in the United Kingdom.
Method 3 – Buying a Pre-Configured VPN Router
To make it a little easier, the easiest approach is consider buying a pre-configured VPN router from a reputed service like ExpressVPN.
In parallel, if you are not tech-savvy, you can get pre-configured DD-WRT and Tomato VPN routers from Flash Routers.
There are many market VPNs like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, Surfshark, PureVPN, IPVanish, CyberGhost routers available. Always consider the service that is reliable and best fits your needs.
This will give you access to the VPN client within the router, which you can use to connect to a US server. Resultantly, you will be able to stream Hulu entire library on your PS4 and on other gaming consoles.
How to Setup Hulu Roku in the UK
Installing Hulu on your Roku device is simple and straightforward, but you need to make sure you have signed up for the Hulu subscription program before you try it.
- Click the Home button on your Roku remote
- Select Broadcast Channels from the list on the left side of the screen, followed by Search Channels
- Type “Hulu” in the search bar
- Click on the Hulu option
- Select Add Channel
- Download the Hulu app
- Launch Hulu app from Roku Home Screen on Sign-in with credentials
3 Best Roku VPNs to Stream Hulu in UK [In-Depth Analysis]
Following are the top working VPNs on Roku for streaming Hulu outside the United States region from countries like the United Kingdom, Canada, and others.
1. ExpressVPN: The Best Roku VPN for Hulu in UK
ExpressVPN subscriptions come with a Smart DNS proxy service called MediaStreamer. For Wi-fi routers that do not support VPNs, you can change the default DNS addresses in MediaStreamer.
You can use it to unblock geo-locked content like Hulu in the UK. If you are a Roku user and need to get the advantage of a VPN but don’t trust yourself enough to set up a router. ExpressVPN covers all for you
The company sells pre-installed routers with custom firmware that will allow you to easily deploy certain devices, such as Roku, using any VPN server on its network.
- Super-fast streaming servers for Hulu
- Roku compatible
- Unlimited Streaming
- 160 VPN locations
- Support Android, iOS, Smart TV, Apple TV, Linux, Windows
- Also support gaming consoles
- Little expensive
2. NordVPN: Secure VPN for Hulu on Roku
NordVPN provides access to SmartPlay, an encrypted DNS proxy service that allows you to bypass local license limits for streaming content just like Hulu.
It also provides pre-configured DD-WRT routers for those who lack to configure the VPN routers themselves. Further, it shows a detailed tutorial on the NordVPN knowledge base if you want to do it yourself at its website.
- A vast network of servers
- Unblocking geo-restricted video content
- Preconfigured Router for Roku
- 5,400+ Servers in 59+ Countries
- Based in Panama (Safe Jurisdiction)
- Military-grade encryption with DNS leak protection
- OpenVPN configuration is bit tricky
3. Surfshark: Affordable Roku VPN for Hulu
The origin of Surfshark is the British Virgin Islands. It is a budget-friendly Hulu VPN that works well with Roku streaming devices for playing HD videos.
Even if you don’t have a dedicated app available, you can still use it easily due to its user-friendly interface. It offers access to 3,200+ servers in 63+ countries using obfuscation technology.
This allows them to convert VPN traffic to standard HTTPS. As a result, users of Roku can easily access to the entire Hulu library while staying in the UK.
- Cost-effective VPN for Roku
- Access Hulu and other video sites
- 3,200+ Servers in 65+ Countries
- Award winning service
- Based in the British Virgin Islands
- Stream with unlimited devices
- AES-256-CBC and AES-256-GCM
- P2P support is limited
How to Watch Hulu on Roku in UK: FAQs
Following are some questions and answers for the people living in the United Kingdom relevant to streaming Hulu on their Roku streaming device in 2021.
Can I watch Hulu in the UK or outside the United States?
Yes. The reliable method is to use a trusted VPN service like ExpressVPN. It will unblock the entire Hulu library in the UK region to enjoy its content freely from anywhere.
Can I watch Hulu + Live TV on Roku?
Yes you can watch Hulu + Live TV service if you are subscribed to it. Follow the instructions give below:
- Using your Roku remote, press the Home button.
- Select “Broadcast Channels” from the list on the left of the screen
- Select “Search Channels.”
- Search for “Hulu.” When it appears in search results, select “Add Channel.”
- After the channel is installed, select “OK.”
- Press the Home button again.
Why is Hulu asking for my place?
Because Hulu Geo-locks their live service, they want to know that you are outside the US region or not. To access Hulu via Live TV, you will need to confirm the location of your home internet network within 30 days of your subscription.
People living in the UK can watch Hulu’s entire library on Roku and other streaming devices using a VPN service without worrying about the staying place, is not the United States because you will get guaranteed access.